Posts Tagged ‘vintage’
I really want to bring your attention to these because they are so beautiful and tactile. Map lampshades. You choose the map and I make the lampshade. Such perfect gifts, especially for those pesky men if your life who are difficult to buy for. These shades are made from genuine vintage OS maps so they feature their creases, but that just makes them all the lovelier. And the light they create is so warm and welcoming. Here’s one I made from a 1954 map of Exeter and the surrounding area, including the Exe estuary and north Devon. I loved making this – spotting all the places I know, well-travelled routes and villages I never knew existed. Available now from Malby Maps.
Ice cream colours, duck-egg blue birdies, white cherry blossom, cherry-lipped Russian dolls and rose-laden romantic postcards all peek out of the wide window of Exeter’s Insideout store, catching the bright eyes of passers-by. (D’you know? If I didn’t make them, I’d buy them.)
Last November I had the most spiffing time at Crikey! It’s Vintage in Exeter. The Thistle Hotel is a sublime venue, with huge picture windows, high ornate ceilings and golden chandeliers that make all the marvellous stalls glitter and glint. It’s an Aladdin’s Cave – bursting with treasures and treats. Fabulously organised and supporting a brilliant charity – The Women’s Land Army Tribute. Check out the extensive list of things you can do during the day. And don’t forget to come and say hi – I’ll be there with a beautiful array of specially made shades.
- 30 Vintage traders selling everything from vintage home-wares, kitchenalia items, china, decorative items and collectables.
- 15 Handmade crafters selling vintage inspired hair accessories, jewellery, fabric items, brooches, crochet pieces, origami mobiles, retro/vintage style paintings and lots lots more!
- Two vintage fashion shows, with vintage and vintage inspired clothes sellers.
- The vintage wedding emporium.
- A retro style photo-shoot, from Jennie Hill Photography.
- A pop up beauty parlour complete with hair stylist Lucy Milton, vintage nail artist Vanessa, and Vintage make over from Jane.
- A pop up tattoo parlour from the lovely ladies of INK, Exeter.
- A bookable burlesque ‘stocking removal’ workshop, hosted by Lady Lace.
- Jive dance performances.
- A pop up cinema, showing popular retro TV shows. Complete with retro popcorn cart!
- A mini Tupperware party, hosted by The Vintage Cream.
- Super cakes from Kiss and Bake up.
- The Sewing Sanctuary will be providing make and take sessions, whereby you can make a pair of frilly knickers or a vintage style corsage, what fun!
- J W Bardgett Guitars, performances, and a bookable workshop to ‘make yourself an upright bass’.
- Make and take sessions; Make your own frilly knickers (priced at £5) and make your own vintage insipred rosette (priced at £3) These sessions will be running all day throughout the day, on a turn up and start basis. Suitable for beginners with a small amount of sewing knowledge, all materials will be provided